MamaMcCares

MamaMcCares
Sanity is all relative!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow

Snowmageddon,..............Snowpocalypse, and my personal favorite, "Snowtorious B.I.G." Now I like snow as much as the next person, (and probably more), but this is getting crazy...We have been out of school now for 5 days, which (if I am being honest)I was really looking forward to...(work in the schools system). Oh yes, I had plans to bake, to sew, to work on some artwork that I have been inspired to do (past tense), to knit, to clean my house.

Does anyone know what happens to good intentions when they are cooped up in a house with 3 children all week?

Let's see.....Baking...Yes, I did some baking. Made cookies for the kind neighbors who plowed my parking space out, and yes, saved several dozen for the family. alas, I caught myself wanting to hide them so that I would have my secret stash to either 1.) eat them all as a means to keep from swearing at the children, or 2) use them as bribes to get said children to behave. 36 hours later and they are gone.....Take a good guess on which option won out.

Sewing? Well, I seriously thought about it, but when I had this plan I was envisioning a lovely clean home, smelling of pot roast and cinnamon rolls, and me happily humming and sewing away at the CLEAN dining room table...Here is the reality:
On the table at present is 1 large maine coon, 11 gloves and/or mittens waiting for their mates to arrive so that they might be couples....there are last nights soup bowls, a load of unfolded laundry (yes, my dryer is finally fixed), 2 empty liter bottles of soda, and assorted bags of chip crumbs that I am reluctant to throw away in case it never stops snowing and we have a snack food emergency. Gee, do you think I should worry about there being a sewing emergency?

Artwork...............yes, there it is, my creative outlet, my favorite way to voice the fierce frustration that reigns in my soul. The paint is gone, except the watercolours, but the watercolour paper is gone. Used up! and watercolours are nothing without watercolour paper...The clay is hardened, the pens are dried out, and the only thing left to create is red crayon on the bumpy side of the refrigerator. I am fighting the impulse, truly I am...

Knitting.....my zen, my passion, my calm and peaceful retreat in a crazy world gone mad. This is the storm that I have been stashing for. There is yarn in every corner of this house, heretofor hidden, awaiting the day when I could break it out, and shout triumphantly, "See? I NEEDED this yarn" There is cotton, and silk, and merino.......mohair and alpaca. There is soft wool and scratchy wool, there is even acrylic the question is not "to knit or not to knit", the question is "what to knit" I am so mired down by my expectations of a knitted garment or accessory knitted during a blizzard that I am afraid to begin. I knit a few rows of that amazingly soft apple green alpaca (but oh no, I need to come up with a real plan for this incredible yarn)....I switch to the locally raised natural alpaca, thinking, "oh yes, this is it...so soft, so warm...."....but wait, "I cannot possibly knit with this. This house is too messy and the dog will get dog hair on it, and I will have wasted this yarn"....Back to the drawing board. I have now spent several hours ripping out knitting. "ah yes, the cotton,...............ah, the cotton" I finally settle on a lovely organically grown cotton and begin.....knit 1, purl 1, knit 1, purl 1....What am I thinking of? I absolutely cannot use this yarn. What if someone gets pregnant? This cotton is far too fine for me to use to knit washcloths for my old despoiled body.....So okay, I will knit with acrylic. It is cheap, it is a dime a dozen, and I don't mind using it for anything....off we go...We are really getting something done now....But do you know what I discover? I don't mind one bit knitting something unimportant with this acrylic yarn...I don't mind wasting it...but what I do mind, is wasting my TIME with acrylic yarn. This will never do!

Knitting? I am now perusing patterns that I can try and re-create without a pattern (dyslexic knitter) for the next blizzard. That's right. I will be READY in 15 years when the next blizzards occur. (though on a good note, I CAN continue to grow my stash for that distant storm)

Cleaning....completely out of the question.....how can I possibly clean with all of these children hanging around, and even if they went to their rooms, there is yarn and fabric EVERYWHERE....

So, this is where I am. I have laundry I could be doing. Lord knows, with the dryer broken for over a month, there is plenty of laundry waiting....but I've been thinking. If I do laundry all day, i definitely won't have time for baking, sewing, knitting and a little artwork....amd forget housecleaning!!

No comments:

Post a Comment