MamaMcCares

MamaMcCares
Sanity is all relative!

Friday, February 12, 2010

Friday, and why it is the best day of the week...

It is Friday, finally.....My beloved Friday, the day that my heart delights in,....a day to cheerily go about your work, knowing there is a secret reward for your dutiful service. Fridays are good days for me.....Job #2 doesn't change much for me on Fridays, although my little charges are generally lighter of heart, freer in spirit...and there is no need to discuss verbage or algebraic phrases. Job #1 loves Friday, too. My budding young artists love the paint, the paper, the glue...they love the sense of freedom that they, too, can feel on Fridays. They sing with me....dance with me, and create with me, but ALL BY THEMSELVES....I marvel at their minds and their thoughts and their interpretations and their talents, while I struggle to understand their words. "Mif Wori, dat es my ponee on de lake. De waughteer es blu en de ky es blu en dat es my mama on de hoosie" "Why, yes, little Destra, and that is beautiful. Can the sky be pink? Can the sky be orange?"
And yes, they are still pure enough to know that the sky can be any color they want it to be.......and on Friday, it can be for me, too.

So today, THIS Friday is a bit different....I have not worked all week and most of last week. I feel, suspicously, like I did at 20,....stalking my house in my nightgown, all day long, watching children bounce from one activity to another while I panic at the thought of all the detritus being created for me to pick up. They make obscene noises from their armpits, (at least one of them does), they wallow, they squabble over who goes first, and they whine about having nothing to do. Can't have that, now can we? "Here", I say,..."Take this trash bag and fill it. Let's see who can finish fastest?" It never works. They always see through my feeble attempts to entertain them. These kids, MY kids don't feel like little prodigies...they most often feel like appendages, extra hands and feet that get in the way, that have to be dressed warmly to go out in the snow.......with nary a mitten or snowboot in sight.
it's a struggle to make a path in the snow with all of these feet having to work together. Imagine for one moment....
But just like hands and feet and other extraneous parts, when they hurt, I hurt. When they are cold, I am cold, and in order for the body to feel whole and well, all of the parts need to feel whole and well.

I digress here.....Back to the subject. Today is Friday, but feels much like a Tuesday. I am almost looking forward to Monday...... to feel like Friday. I love these kids,......and to show them, I think I'll paint a pink and purple sky.......

No comments:

Post a Comment